What does Barack Obama have against Gerald Ford?
The official White House website includes brief biographies of all past presidents written by Michael Beschloss and Hugh Sidey. From Grover Cleveland to George W. Bush, Mr. Obama has inserted himself into each and every biography of past presidents whether living or dead with the sole exception of Gerald Ford.
How much is the Obama campaign paying for each click to a presidential bio that advertises his contribution to the nation? Not only is this historical intrusion crass, but each “Did you know?” Obama campaign section is both fact and propaganda. As is becoming the norm, Mr. Obama has set a new low in presidential firsts.
MK Daspit left this note on a Commentary Magazine article about the biographical enhancements:
“God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning-the sixth day. Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array. By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested. And God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done. President Obama saw this and said “I was totally going to do it in 5 days and get in two days of golf, but whatever.”
Each US president is linked to every other in a historical context, but Mr. Obama made sure that the final entry in the bio of every modern president is a bit about himself.
- If you look up John F. Kennedy the last piece of material is about Barack Obama.
- If you look up Franklin D. Roosevelt the last factoid is about Barack Obama.
- Read about Dwight D. Eisenhower and the last piece of information will be about Barack Obama.
- What is the final thought on Richard Nixon’s bio? Barack Obama.
- Bill Clinton didn’t get the last word either. The last words went to Barack Obama.
- Who gets the final billing on the bio of Harry Truman? Yep, Barack Obama.
I’ll quit there. Pick any president since 1923 and you will find an Obama pitch attached – except for President Ford. Was this intentional or an oversight? Perhaps Mr. Obama’s staff will read this and rectify that omission.
How can such a smart guy like Barack Obama fail to see how cheesy this looks?
. . .
Enter your email address in the right column to receive notice of new posts.
Share and Enjoy
Filed Under: Commentary and Opinion